Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I'm going to get a tattoo of the Olympic rings...

Because then I kind of have to go, dont I?


Every 4 years, the whole world gets their national pride on and remembers that they completely forgot about swimming and Michael Phelps. Then everyone proceeds to get super worked up about it it all for two short but eventful weeks. And it. Is. GLORIOUS. Wonderfully attractive and athletic people assemble to make sedentary spectators from their countries burst with pride (but not enough to get off the couch and stop eating their burrito bowl...IT WAS DELICIOUS, thanks for asking). It sadly ends soon, but I'm kind of excited about it for three reasons

1. Spice Girls/One Direction at the closing ceremony. QE2 and I cannot wait



2. It means the start of Football (professional and college), Rugby, and Arsenal Football oh so soon! DC sports is actually super exciting/not a complete and utter fail at the moment with the Nationals being really good (If I knew more about baseball, I'd probably be even more excited), DC United lighting it up in MLS (Marry me, Chris Pontius) and RGesus III coming to save us all. Heck, even the Wizards are making semi-good moves by finally dumping Andray Blatche, thus dashing all nightmares where Blatche takes Bradley Beale and John Wall clubbing 30 minutes before games. Rugby season will have me brushing up on my french as I watch Stade Toulouse try to retain their title and challenge for the Heineken Cup, and Arsenal will probably have me weeping into my pillow at night. Only half-joking of course. I've mentally prepared myself for RVP's leaving. And surprisingly we've actually signed people who aren't unknown french babies from Ligue 2. I hope Santi Cazorla brings some more of that Spanish midfield magic, and that we get more playing for his country Poldi than playing for his club Poldi. That would be ideal.
Goldi Poldi Hallelujah please bring your clinical German finishing to the Emirates.
But mostly, this guy will be wearing an Arsenal shirt
...which means our reputation as the hottest club in the premiership will not easily be overtaken, even if we lose RVP. Bienvenue a Arsenal, Olivier!

3. I can get super super serious about applying to jobs without distractions (because I'm tryna put this UVA degree to use).

But London 2012 has brought the drama, the tears, the shrieks, and most importantly, the lols. Because I can't be bothered to write too much today, this is a picture post about my favorite parts thus far.

A) Mascots
Haha lies. I can't with the Mascots. They look like giant you-know-whats and everyone knows it. Whoever thought this was a good idea should be fired. Like, were they even going for? One eyed Eiffel tower looking aliens? London, I am dissapoint.

B) Gymnastics
 This picture tells you everything you need to know about the Fab Five. Jordon looking like she could actually go hood on you and beat you up. Gabby looking so natural in her pose. McKayla in the middle being my favorite since we both suffer from chronic "people thing I'm a betch but that's just how my face looks when I'm focused/tired/breathing". Kyla being adorable. Aly not even trying to look hard. She's probably thinking about all her medals.

Can't forget about the boys though (note: they are always forgotten). From left to right: there's Shorty (which is saying something) who is amazing on the high bar, the Fighter from that Gym Class Heroes song, cute white guy, other cute white guy with the eyes, and the cute Hispanic one. I honestly couldn't be bothered to learn their actual names. But men's gymnastics is dope.Epke Zonderland 4 lyfe.

C) Swimming
This Olympics was supposed to be all about Michael Phelps's last run/Ryan being dumb as a box of rocks but an amazing contender, and for the most part it was. But it was the other swimmers that really made it for me. Such as


Is Nathan Adrian not the most adorable adonis you've ever seen?

Missy Franklin is a doll. And then I look at her birth year and clutch my bag of popcorn that I'm eating to my heart. I'll make it someday....

 French Real Life Disney Prince Camille Lacourt. He wears coral V-necks, which means he is sensitive. And obviously French.

 He even has those really blue eyes that I usually find creepy, but he's kind of dreamy so I'm okay with it.

D) Handball
This game underrated. So many emotions, so much sweat to wipe of the floor. I think I'm all about Team Sweden, mostly because of this guy
Kim Ekdahl du Reitz. Mostly because he is channeling his inner Zlatan with that wack hair. Handball is one of those games you watch and think, wow I can do this. We're wearing the same tennis shoes and I own Adidas shorts, I'M READY. But then you realize everyone is like 6'5 and super athletic. Another Olympic dream shattered. 

E) Basketball

...Or as its known at the international level, "Junk-punch-ball". Seriously, there's been at least one of these in every game I've watched. Little do they know that the USA's got a secret junk-punching weapon in our own Chris Paul. I may not remember Lenz's Law in 10 years, but I will always, ALWAYS remember Paul getting suspended a game at Wake for a masterful junk-punch that ended with Wake Forest losing in the ACC tournament.

Also, KD's dancing is pretty much key to Team USA's wins.

F) Weightlifting


Goodness I got so emotionally invested in this. But these make excellent caption games to fill the time. This picture says : "efffff...i gotta poop"

G) TRACK AND FIELD. My favorite.

Jess Ennis is everything I want to be in life. A pretty heptathlete with a gold medal, obviously.

 I wanna hang out with these two for a day. I'm sure it would consist of the three of us yelling "BULLET!" every five seconds and watching Cool Runnings.

and of course

H) Women's Soccer.

If  you didn't watch the USA-Canada Semifinal, you probably saved yourself a heart-attack. This game was a woman's soccer masterclass, as well as an officiating disaster. Canada will claim they were robbed (and to be fair, the ref was pretty horrible at times), but as a fan of the USWNT, you just have to take the win and run with it. On to Japan!
gurl bye
Had to edit because I couldn't leave without adding this:
Only because "Fecking" is now the new "Tanning". Looks painful, but i laughed. Also, look up Kevin Tan pommel horse is you're confused about Tanning.

Okay, probs have to go pack now. Laters!

Abena

No comments:

Post a Comment