Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Off to Blighty!

So in less than 10 hours, I'm off to start my European adventure for the summer. Though I am neither an accomplished writer nor very good at consistently keeping up with anything other than the Bachelor/Bachelorette seasons, I'm trying to keep a log of the mildly interesting things I do. I'm hoping this will actually inspire me to do said interesting things instead of the original plan of eating croissants and baguettes in the park all day (occasionally breaking for class). After the struggles that I like to call Visa-gate part II (Part I was in 2007...oh, the perks of being an immigrant), its nice to know that I'm officially and legally allowed to enter the countries that I will be staying in for the next four weeks.

First stop is England! The land of footballing love-rats, Kidulthood, and Hyacinth Bucket. It's a short visit (3 days) before I spend the bulk of the time in Lyon, France, but it should be a good one none the less. Its pretty strange that I've never been to London, considering I'm Ghanaian and London is basically mini-Ghana (Sway, Lethal Bizzle, Dizzy Rascal, Tinchy Stryder, Idris Elba, and Martha Jones from Doctor Who are some famous full/half British-Ghanaians that people might now. There's more but I just cant be bothered to list them). I've had family there for ages, and I've been to Heathrow like 53 times, but I've never left the airport. But tomorrow is a new day...quite literally. I'm hoping to indulge in the aforementioned fish and chips, Nando's (its a travesty that we don't have this in America), some good music (newly on my radar are Rizzle Kicks, Emeli Sandé, and Ed Sheeran),  window-shopping at Top Shop (because I'm most likely going to be just as broke as I am now), and of course, Geordie Shore on the telly. I know for a fact that I will have to force myself not to adopt the accent I once proudly sported in year 2 and 3 at my British school in Kenya (I'm a bit of a chameleon and kind of subconsciously adapt my accent when I'm talking to different people), but I'll try to rock my faux-american-ness and do my resident alien nation proud. 


Later on today I'm going to enjoy the last Chipotle I'll have for a while (Unless they have it overseas. If so, I'm in there like swimwear).Ok, Peace out, America!






Abena 'round the world and I I I....

cheers,

Beans

3 comments:

  1. There are so many things about this that I love. Doctor Who, Tinchy etc. You should also start watching "Made in Chelsea." Like a posher version of Geordie Shore.

    I also am equally enamored with Chipotle, but there isn't one here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO SO excited you made one! PS--hop on over to my blog now and hit follow, I'm one away from my goal of 300 followers in 3 months (tomorrow=3 months) and you could be lucky #300!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha i'm glad you enjoy it,Kaz! i'm clearly not so secretely an anglophile of sorts. I'll be sure to catch Made in Chelsea...i love my reality tv. :P

    and Allie, it took me like an hour to locate the button haha but i did it! you are now followed :) and this is already so much fun for me i can tell why you enjoy it so much!

    ReplyDelete