Thursday, June 16, 2011

London Day 1

Standard.

         So I've already had a packed first day. Frank picked me up at Heathrow, and I stepped outside those walls for the first time ever into London! Well, not exactly. I stepped out into the Underground, so I guess I was underneath it. But it made me feel all warm and fuzzy to be told to "Mind the Gap". So after a long ride (side note-I try not to fill the loud American stereotype when I travel abroad, but it was pretty ridiculous that Frank and I were the only ones talking at all on the Tube. I was using my "inside voice" but I felt like everyone was glaring at me because they could probably see my mouth moving and couldn't concentrate on the songwriting masterpiece that is JLS's new single. That was a joke. But several things do irk me about that song. Can they please be more specific about what exactly "she" makes them wanna do? especially since its on the dance floor it cant be that obscene, so I'm actually at a loss. And also, I hate it when songwriters get lazy and aren't consistent between countries, cities, and continents. "London to Jamaica. LA to Africa". Really, JLS? Really, guys? I know you didn't write it, but I expected more from you. Especially you, Marvin. But whatever. over it. Probs gonna dance to it tomorrow night.)
          So we dropped off my stuff at Frank's little apartment, and then were off to do some exploring. And explore we did. We had a nice English breakfast and then went to Hyde Park to walk around and hang out. Then later on my Uncle came and picked me up for an ever grander tour of London, on the bus and with more walking through the streets. We hit up Downing Street, the Cavalry Museum, Trafalgar Square (for whatever reason in my mind I kept confusing it with Scotland Yard and thought we were going to the place where all the policemen were), Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus, Chinatown, and then some. So here we go!

Frank lives in Paddington. You know, like the Bear!

Frank at breakfast

Me in Hyde Park. I don't think I was ready or this one. Also, Hyde Park is huge.

Kensington Palace where Princess Diana Lived. One thing I absolutely have to give the British props for is their grass. Seriously. Look at it. Their grass game is on point.

I know I'm going on about the grass. but its so great.

Frank again. I totally thought I'd seen this pond before, but I was just confusing it with the one I'd seen in France at one of the castles. Excuse my mistake, I'M JUST SO WORLDLY. just kidding.

I cant remember where this is. Its across from the gold statue of Prince Albert. Of course I'm working the angles. Arm on hip and bent leg to give the illusion of skinniness. Thank you, UVA. You've taught me well.

My natural stance.

Do I look like the bird???

Poster in the lobby of my brother's university housing. Good lookin' out, SOAS.

My uncle at Trafalgar Square

Me at Trafalgar Square

Art.

A telephone box! Next quest is to find a Tardis-looking Police Box.

My BF at the Cavalry Museum. So in love.

The horses. I thought this was a memorial museum, so imagine my surprise when the horses came barreling through. I tried to take a picture from the front, but the horse stopped and I thought my flash would blind it and incite a stampede. But the lovely man on the horse was actually stopping it for me to take a picture. And he stopped it again once I realized it. I think he really just wanted a picture of himself on a horsey.

David Cameron, where you at??

I wonder if Nick Jonas is in there.

 Then I got some dinner and came back home to find an empty apartment, and was instructed to take the bus to someplace called Drummond Street if I was on the 27 or Euston if I got on the 205. Naturally I was scared to go out by myself for the first time considering I'd been awake for about 24 hours at that point, and had only been in London for say 14 hours. But the pub was waiting, so I had to get a move on. So I headed to the Paddington station to top up my oyster card and then to the Mcdonalds to pick up a bus. As I was sitting on the bus (the 27 if anybody's wondering) I noticed a handsome stranger caught my eye and smiled. Now smiling is such a different kind of thing in different parts of the world. In the states, its just something you do when you pass someone on the street, or in my case, something I do because 1. I'm a happy person most of the time and 2. I look a lot prettier and more approachable when I smile. Otherwise I unknowingly have a permanent stank-face that scares children and girls in the Alderman 4th floor bathroom. I remember at Choate, before I studied abroad for a summer, we were basically told that smiling at a stranger in France was not something you wanted to do. It was basically some sort of non-verbal invitation to whatever they had in mind (because all french people are constantly trying to seduce you...apparently). I didn't know what the custom was in England yet, and I feel like everyone just minds their own business for the most part and are somewhat friendly if approached. So maybe this guy was just being nice, considering I probably looked terrified of missing my stop and getting lost. But I quickly smiled back and turned away for the rest of the ride. I've seen Taken, okay? I'm not trying to get kidnapped like that girl.

    I finally find Drummond Street and Frank is there to meet me. We walk for ages until we get to "Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese" which is apparently pretty freakin' old. I got to meet and hang out with Frank's SOAS friends, which was pretty awesome. Everyone was so cool and nice. Anyone that knows me knows that I have an inherent and inexplicable social phobia (not a real thing....i think) when it comes to meeting new people and being social without being awkward (people who don't believe this about me probably only know "RA mode Abena"). But I was surprisingly relaxed and had a really fun time. One of the big topics of conversation was on the discussion of average height guys and tall guys and whether women are more attracted to and flock towards the tall guy, leaving the average height guy to rely mostly on personality. So great. After this pub was shutting down, we walked around forever trying to find another one, and eventually did. Had some more good conversation (the group got smaller as the night went on) and then eventually headed back towards home. By my calculations, I had been awake since 8am on Tuesday morning, so about 35 hours straight of being awake finally hit me and I was out as soon as my head hit the pillow of the bed. A marathon of a day that I'm definitely feeling the effects of now, but a good one nonetheless :)


"Sun is in the sky oh why oh why would I wanna be anywhere else"*

Cheers,

Abena
*this song is kind of inaccurate. The sky is gray. like always. well, except for right now, its quite lovely. but its still wonderful and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now!
         

3 comments:

  1. Your brother goes to SOAS. I was gonna go there if I stayed in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aahhh it seems like such an awesome place. everyone is so interesting and cool...so obviously it would have been a great fit for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so chic in these pics--love the outfit!

    ReplyDelete