Thursday, June 7, 2012

Guess who's back...

You know, graduation is a weird thing. Its the strangest mix of emotions (aka things I hate). One moment you're excited to be done with undergraduate classes, 8ams, all-nighters in your living room and/or Clemons, and freaking out about grades, credits, and theses, and you're patting yourself on the back for a good four years while jamming to this:

 

...and the next thing you know you're crying in your room, hugging your Ariel blanket and listening to Vitamin C's graduation song on repeat for hours.

 
 Or maybe this was just the last two weeks before May 20th for me. But it happened. I got that diploma (or rather, I got a rolled up piece of blank cardstock with a promise of a delivered diploma to my house on approximately July 10th). So now real life is supposed to begin all Sex and the City-like, right?

...right?


Right!! you know, once you replace the City with Centreville, VA and sex with lying on the couch watching X-men: First Class 8 times.
Only one qualm. okay well two: 1. January Jones was literally useless. 2. Magneto and Professor X are the couple in this movie. no one else.


Needless to say post-grad life has so far been thoroughly unexciting (Dont get me wrong though, I loved X-men a lot...though I'm still smh at the black dude dying first). I avoided the "what are you doing with the rest of your life" talk for about 36 hours after I got back home. It didn't end with me being the happiest, but at least I have a semblance of a two year plan for my life. Unfortunately that also means no extravagant summer life like I'd hoped. Given job and internship applications, MCAT and GRE classes and exams, applying to any and all schools that would accept me for whatever reasons short of bribery, and being he professional chauffeur for my siblings, it doesn't look like I'm going anywhere anytime soon.

BUT. I'm not throwing myself a pity party. Instead I'm going to throw myself back into blogging and writing. With all the verbal reasoning, physical sciences, biogical sciences, analytical writing, quantitative reasoning, cover letters, and modified resumes that a girl's gotta get through this summer, I need another outlet.

Thus all I can say is THANK GOODNESS for sports this summer!!! The line-up this summer is as good as it was 4 years ago, and I plan to indulge in all of it, and share with the interworld the embarrasing way in which I think about and watch sports! We've got Euro 2012 (tomorrow!! a post about it will be up soon), THE OLYMPICS, the French Open (semis and finals left), Wimbledon, the NBA Finals, Summer rugby internationals, World Cup Qualifiers, and so much more!!!

Between all of that, casual postings about my actual life, and a frequent TOP5 posting, I'll at least have fun with myself in between practice tests and rejection letters from jobs.

Though it started off looking bleak, this summer has the propensity to be pretty freakin chill...

 

Cheers!

Abena

No comments:

Post a Comment